I caught this today and thought I would share it here:
This Morning is a UK daytime show that runs on ITV (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Morning_%28TV_series%29). I couldn’t find the viewing figures for this show but it is definitely a housewives favourite in this country and has won awards for the last 3 years.
Lucy Rocca from Soberistas was featured on it on Thursday along with the results of a poll they undertook to support her interview and the results make interesting reading.
In conjunction with One Poll, we surveyed 1,000 women with children aged 0-18.
- 40% of women drink 2-3 times a week
- 33% admit to not just drinking in a group but also to drinking alone
- 15% admit to drinking in front of their children several times a week
- 1/4 admit they have been so drunk they’ve put their own safety at risk
- 36% say they drink to alleviate work related stress
- Just under a third admit they drink to alleviate the stress of looking after the kids
- Almost half said they wouldn’t be prepared to give up alcohol for good
- 1 in 6 admit they have been too hungover to be a good parent
- 1 in 5 women admit they feel guilty about their drinking
http://www.itv.com/thismorning/hot-topics/habitual-drinking is the link if you would like to watch Lucy’s interview.
I’m so proud of her and her efforts to bring the issue of alcohol to our culture’s awareness. We have a BIG problem with alcohol in this country and this will have been watched by large numbers of people.
Go Lucy Go!
Edited to add: Lucy has now uploaded this interview to Youtube so you can watch it if outside of the UK